July 6, 2012
CEOs of all the Payment System Operators Authorised under the PSS Act, 2007
Implementation of Section 51-A of UAPA, 1967 - Updates of the UNSCR 1267 (1999) and 1989 (2011) Committee's Al Qaida Sanctions List
Please refer to our circular DPSS.CO.AD.No. 2218 /02.27.005/2011-12 dated June 7, 2012. We have since received from Government of India, Ministry of External Affairs, UNP Division copy of note dated May 25, 2012 (copy enclosed) forwarded by the Chairman of UN Security Council's 1267/1989 Committee regarding changes made in the “Al-Qaida Sanctions List”, i.e. list of Individuals and entities linked to Al-Qaida.
2. All the Payment System Operators (PSOs) are required to update the list of individuals/entities as circulated by Reserve Bank and before opening any new account, it should be ensured that the name/s of the proposed customer does not appear in the list. Further, PSOs should scan all existing accounts to ensure that no account is held by or linked to any of the entities or individuals included in the list.
3. All the PSOs are advised to strictly follow the procedure laid down in the UAPA Order dated August 27, 2009 enclosed to the Reserve Bank circular DBOD.AML.BC. No. 44/14.01.001/2009-10 dated September 17, 2009 and ensure meticulous compliance to the Order issued by the Government. The said circular is available on our website www.rbi.org.in
4. As far as freezing of funds, financial assets or economic resources or related services held in the form of accounts of the designated individuals/entities are concerned, action should be taken as detailed in paragraph 6 of the circular dated September 17, 2009, mentioned above.
5. The complete details of the said list are available on the UN website:
6. Nodal Officer/Principal Officer may acknowledge receipt of this circular.
Encl: As above